Your eyes are one of the most sensitive parts of your entire body, so it's important to take good care of them. If you notice a sudden eye problem that's causing a change in vision, pain, or other symptoms, you should call an optometrist right away.
Common Eye Problems
Diagnosing and treating eye problems is a big part of optometry. Even if you've never had an emergency eye problem, they're more common than you might think. However, it's important to understand some of the more common eye problems so you aren't panicking when you shouldn't be. Here are some of the most common eye problems you're likely to experience:
- Foreign matter: When dust, dirt, or other debris gets into the eye, it can cause irritation and blurred vision.
- Corneal abrasions: Your eye may get scratched at times, making it feel like you've got a bit of sand or grit in there.
- Flash burns: Flash burns are most commonly caused by looking at the sun or other bright lights for too long.
Common Eye Emergencies
Now that you understand some of the more common eye problems, it's important to understand the problems that are considered emergencies. In general, any severe acute injury to the eye is considered an emergency. However, there are other problems you want to look out for too:
- Detached retina: If you're noticing lots of specks of floaters in your vision, you may have a detached retina.
- Infections: Certain eye infections can severely impair eyesight, so you should get them treated as soon as possible.
- Glaucoma: If you have the symptoms of glaucoma, visit an optometry office right away.
Emergency Eye Treatment in Marietta, GA
When you've got an eye emergency, the first thing you should do is visit a Marietta, GA, optometrist for emergency eye care. Leaving certain eye problems alone could lead to blindness or other severe eye problems that could last for life. Your optometrist will start by performing an eye exam to assess the condition of your eyes. Once the problem has been identified, they can begin mapping out a treatment plan. While this may sound like a hassle, it can save you from partially or completely losing your vision well before you should have eye problems.
Give Us a Call
Taking good care of your eyes might not be easy, but it's definitely necessary. If you want to keep your eyes in good shape, make sure you visit an optometrist whenever you're having problems. If you're having an eye emergency or a common eye problem, give East Cobb Eye Center a call at (770) 642-4001 to schedule an appointment for an exam today.